Discernment ~ Part Three ~ The Devil’s in the Details

“Discernment is not simply a matter of telling the difference between what is right and wrong;
rather, it is the difference between right and almost right.”
Charles Spurgeon

The most powerful lies are based on truth.

Are we better off taking in “the big picture”? Or methodically studying fine details that make or break truth?

Most folks would agree that 90% is a pretty good goal for accuracy. What about the other 10%? Is it even worth squabbling over?

If your children lie to you ten percent of the time, do you see it as a behavior that needs correction, or let it go as an expected deviation from rigid rules?

You give a cashier money, and receive 90% real money, but 10% Monopoly money. 90% is not good enough.

10% may seem negligible. But that’s where danger begins. Just a tiny bit of error-deception, dilutes and invalidates truth.

The devil must’ve been a marketing major. He has connived his way into books, music, websites, schools, homes, and churches.

His influence and deception are not hard to spot, when measured against the true Word of God.

I point to one prominent example of false gospel teachings: the Word of Faith movement.

The Word of Faith movement has many distinctive teachings including physical, emotional, financial, relational, and spiritual healing or prosperity for any who has the right belief-filled confession. The movement emphasizes choosing to speak the promises and provisions that the speaker wants, as an act of faith and agreement with God’s plans and purposes.

Joyce Myer, the famed Word of Faith evangelist, may get it right 90% of the time. The other 10% she consistently teaches a false gospel.

Joyce Meyer teaches Christ had to suffer in hell to atone for our sins and be born again. Jesus stopped being the Son of God: “He could have helped himself up until the point where he said ‘I commend my spirit into your hands’, at that point he couldn’t do nothing for himself anymore. He had become sin, he was no longer the Son of God. He was sin.” (1)

She continues, “Jesus paid on the cross and went to hell in my place. Then as God had promised, on the third day Jesus rose from the dead. The scene in the spirit realm went something like this: God rose up from his throne and said to demon powers tormenting the sinless son of God, ‘let him go.’ Then the resurrection power of Almighty God went through hell and filled Jesus. On earth his grave where they had buried him was filled with light as the power of God filled his body. He was resurrected from the dead–the first born again man.” (2)

Meyer also asserts that salvation is impossible without believing Jesus suffered in hell as the believer’s substitute. Meyer writes, “There is no hope of anyone going to heaven unless they believe this truth I am presenting. You cannot go to heaven unless you believe with all your heart that Jesus took your place in hell.” (3)

Joyce Meyer’s teachings are dangerous because these are not simply issues of interpretation- they are salvation issues. She ministers to new “converts” using her own false gospel. Sadly, those “converts” are not Christ’s converts; they are Meyer’s lost.

  • Be careful. This is eternity we speak of.
  • Close the evangelist’s book. Open the Bible.
  • Focus on the fine details of salvation.
  • Measure all things directly against scripture.
  • Remember, Truth never changes.
  • You must know Truth to recognize lies.

The devil is in the details. Stay vigilant and be blessed, Y’all.

IMG_2088

(1, 2, 3) The Most Important Decision You’ll Ever Make, Joyce Meyer 1998, pages 35, 36, 37
Meyer teaches false gospel (video)

 

(c) 2015